Italy — First responders from both the Italy Fire Department and the Forreston Volunteer Fire Department teamed up to contain a reported porch fire around 6:00 a.m. Sunday morning at a house located at 104 White Street in Italy.
Sleeping residents were awakened by a loud noise on the back porch and then realized the house was on fire after peering out windows. Everyone evacuated the premises along with the family pets. The home owner called 911 and then put the garden hose to use until emergency crews could arrive.
Fire crews did manage to halt the spread of the fire and save the home with most of the damage occurring in the kitchen and bathroom areas of the home.
Firefighters removed debris and continued watering down the smoldering exterior while a fan was used to clear smoke from the interior as caring neighbors consoled the shaking residents.
With the inside temperature dropping to acceptable levels, Italy Fire Chief, Donald Chambers, gave the all clear signaling crews to drain the fire hoses, return the equipment to the trucks and then head back to the fire stations.
“With the family grilling on the back porch the night before, it seems that embers lit the wooden porch and then the flames sparked a blow torch that accelerated the fire,” stated Italy firefighter, Jackie Cate, as a probable cause.