Italy High School 2013 graduate, Ryheem Walker, signed his letter of intent to play football for Tyler Junior College with Italy AD/HFC Hank Hollywood and faculty member Tina Richards guiding his enrollment. Walker received a partial scholarship from TJC and will join his Apache teammates this fall. Walker will wrap up his high school career by participating in the 5th Annual Heart of Texas FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) Super Centex Victory Bowl which will be played Saturday, June 15, at 6:30 p.m. inside Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco.
Walker will be a member of the Red Squad which will be coached by Kyle Cooper of Gatesville, Josh Ball of Bynum, Jeff Kasowski of Bremond, Mike Mullins of Harker Heights and Keith Wood of Hico. Joining walker on the Red Squad will be Milford’s Jairus Russell and Red Team Cheerleader, Brittany Gloss, who is also from MIlford. Russell totaled 3,172 total yards on offense as Milford’s quarterback and 10 interceptions on defense.
Walker will follow in the path of his former teammate, Jasenio Anderson (2010), who represented Italy in the 3rd Annual FCA Victory Bowl and Larry Mayberry, Jr. (2011) who represented Italy in the 4th Annual FCA Victory Bowl.
Walker was a menacing tailback during the past two seasons for Italy High School helping to lead the Gladiators to a Class 2A Co-District Championship in 2011 and a Class A undefeated in district championship for 2012. This past season culminated in a State semifinal finish for Italy with Walker punishing defenses in the post season. Walker totaled 1,829 yards on 231 carries to average 7.92 yards per carry in 2012 and rushed for 130.6 yards per game, scored 19 rushing touchdowns a caught 2 touchdown passes.
Walker once scored 4 touchdowns in a high school football game versus Kerens during a district showdown against the Bobcats, propelling Italy to a 40-27 victory and the championship crown.
An accomplished middle linebacker as well, Walker recorded 203 tackles with a 151 of those being solo tackles. Walker made 12 tackles in the opponents backfield for losses, had 2 sacks, caused 2 fumbles and recovered one fumble. The multitalented Walker also had an interception and blocked a field goal along the way and became an All-State running back and an All-State linebacker at the conclusion of the 2012 season.
Congratulations to Ryheem on your commitment to play football for Tyler Junior College and good luck in the 5th Annual FCA Victory Bowl!
Victory Bowl Week Spotlighted Events:
- June 11 — All 2013 Victory Bowl players and cheerleaders report to begin week of festivities.
- June 12 — Media interviews and photos with players and coaches, Wednesday June 12, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. (Floyd Casey Stadium)
- June 13 — Cheerleaders serving at Boys and Girls Club in Hillsboro, 9:00 a.m.
- June 13 — Pancake Eating Contest, 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Floyd Casey Stadium)
- June 14 — Local Service Outreaches, 2:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- June 14 — Pep Rally, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (Highland Baptist CHurch)
- June 15 — Team time with Special Olympics, 9:00 a.m – 11:00 a.m. (Floyd Casey Stadium)
- June 15 — Gates open at 5:00 p.m. followed by the start of the 5th Annual FCA Super Centex Victory Bowl at 6:30 pm. (Floyd Casey Stadium) Free parking is available and tickets are $5.00 for children (12 and under) and $7.00 for adults (13 and over).