Jay Fox, CEO of Baylor Medical Center of Waxahachie, and David Anderson, CEO of Ennis Regional Medical Center, encouraged Ellis County to enter into an Affiliation Agreement under a State program that allows local governments and private hospitals to work together. For every dollar that the County contributes toward indigent health care, the hospitals will potentially be able to receive matching Federal Funds of $1.39.
“This affiliation will not reduce the level of care or the amount of care provided to those in need,” explained Fox. “Instead, it brings more dollars into our community to relieve the burden of care.”
County Judge Carol Bush pointed out that under the new arrangement, the County will still conduct the screening procedures for the Indigent Health program. “I appreciate the efforts made by both hospitals to allow the County to participate on an incremental basis,” Bush noted. “The County’s participation in the State program helps ensure the viability of the hospitals in our area.”
Hope Clinic will continue to provide much needed medical care to the community. Bush stated that, “Our biggest concern was to make sure that Hope Clinic would continue to operate with the same amount of funds that it receives currently.”
Commissioner Dodson congratulated both hospitals for “working together and making a united effort to present a plan that addressed the County’s concerns.”
In other business, Commissioners:
- Granted a one-time variance relating to an easement and building set-back line at 851 Hight Road;
- Granted a two-year extension for the preliminary plat, Cottonwood Creek, 146 lots;
- Amended deed restrictions to Quarter Horse Estates pursuant to a request by Collider Data Center, LLC;
- Appointed Nancy Farrar and Judy Howard to the Ellis County Historical Commission, with a term to begin immediately;
- Cast all of its 896 votes to nominate Tommy Hamilton to the Ellis Central Appraisal Board for the 2012-12 term;
- Amended the County’s Section 457(b) deferred compensation plan with VALIC to conform with new State requirements;
- Adopted a revised investment policy, strategy and list of approved brokers;
- No action was taken on the burn ban; and
- Re-appointed Judge Gene Calvert as a member of the Ellis County Bail Bond Board to serve from January through December 2012.