Noticing flames coming from the Milford Cash Grocery building, Paige Kelley, and Jasmine Salcido quickly called 911 late Tuesday evening. Milford, Forreston, Italy and Waxahachie fire departments responded to the call and converged on downtown Milford.
The fire originated inside the grocery store, which is owned by Earl Fondren, and quickly threatened adjacent structures, including the Nortex State Bank building owned by P.J. Leible and two newly renovated buildings owned by Kathy and Chuck Edge which received smoke, water and merchandise damage.
With firefighters’ concerned families watching from across the street, Milford and Italy’s fire companies kept constant water pressure on the front of the grocery store and along the dividing fire walls in an effort to keep the fire from spreading. The fire became trapped within two ceiling levels making it difficult for fire crews to reach the flames. Waxahachie’s Ladder 3 truck unloaded an aerial water attack from the rear of the grocery store that proved to solve the problem.
With Milford’s water tower near empty, the fire settled down leaving only a few hot spots to contend with. The four-alarm fire required 37 firefighters to help keep the fire contained to the one structure.
A truly valiant effort was displayed by our local fire departments who often rely on volunteers to take the risks that keep us all safe and help reduce property damage in moments of disaster. They’re the ones that enter the burning buildings, stand atop smoldering rooftops and put their lives on the line. And for your bravery, we thank each of you.