December 7th Stafford Elementary’s second grade through sixth grade students participated in Academic UIL along with the seventh through eighth grade students from the High School campus.
The academic events the students participated in were: Art, Music, Math, Dictionary, Listening, Speaking, Storytelling, Writing and Spelling.
Holly Spraberry (UIL coach and coordinator) explained, "We had two UIL Academic competitions – second through fifth grade (competed on December 7th) and sixth through eighth grade (competed on December 9th).
UIL academics is where the students compete in different academic areas with students from other schools. The students did really well. This was the first time for the second through fifth grade students to compete in the UIL competitions in a long, long time. I couldn’t find anyone that remembered us going or if they did remember it was a long time ago. We are very proud of the job that these younger students did for their first year and we are hoping to do better next year."
The Stafford teachers involved in coaching the students were: Octavia Dorazil, Karen Dalquest, Paula Mandrell, Richard Harvel and Holly Spraberry.
The students that placed in the competition are:
- Annie Perry – 5th grade – 5th place
- Abby Gage – 4th grade – 5th place
- Lacy Mott – 3rd grade – 2nd place
Sixth grade Social Studies
- Jasmine Hernandez – 6th place
5th grade Scocial Studies
- Clay Riddle, Hunter Morgan, Trevor Mott – 1st place team
- Clay Riddle – 3rd place – individual
- Hunter Morgan – 4th place – individual
- Trevor Mott – 5th place – individual
- 4th place team : Maegan Connor, Garrett Janek, Sabrina Hernandez
5th grade Maps, Charts and Graphs
- 3rd place team : Trevor Mott, Hunter Morgan, Emmy Cunningham
- 2nd place individual – Trevor Mott
6th grade Listening Skills
- Sarah Levy – 2nd place
5th grade Listening Skills
- 3rd place team – Jenna Holden, Maegan Connor, Elisha McClendon
- 4th place individual – Jenna Holden
- 5th place – Maegan Connor
3rd grade Storytelling
- 5th place – Sydney Lowenthal
Seventh and Eighth Grade students that placed were:
- 4th place – Oral Reading – Ty Windham – 7th grade
- 5th place – Maps, Graphs and Charts -Alexis Sampley – 8th grade
- 4th place – Mathematics – Kelsey Nelson – 8th grade
- 3rd place – Spelling – Madeline Pittmon – 8th grade
- 3rd place team – Spelling- Madeline Pittmon, Trevor Davis (8th grade) and Alexis Sampley
Congratulations and keep up the good work!