Due to the water main break that we suffered last night, a boil order has been put into effect in parts of Italy. The streets that are effected are: Cheri, Rhonda, Chad, Hyles, N. Couch (by the cemetery), and Dallas St. If you are in these areas take precautions to clean your water before consuming it.
During a boil water order, residential users of affected public water supplies should take the following measures to protect themselves from consuming potentially contaminated water:
- Bottled water should be used for drinking, cooking, washing fresh fruits/vegetables, handwashing and tooth brushing.
- The affected tap water should be used for these purposes only after it has been boiled for 3 to 5 minutes.
- The affected water may be used for dish washing if a dishwashing machine is used. If dishes are hand washed, boiled or bottled water should be used. The affected tap water may be used if the clean dishes are immersed for at least one minute in a sink of water to which one full tablespoon of regular household bleach has been added.
- The affected tap water may be used for bathing and/or showering.
- The affected water may be used for household cleaning.
NOTE: If the tap water water is cloudy and/or contains particles, bottled water should be used.
After the boil water order is lifted or water service resumes, these precautionary measures should be followed:
- Flush the building water lines and clean faucet screens.
- Purge all water-using fixtures and appliances of standing water and ice such as refrigerator ice makers or coffee makers.